While I did make some yummy barley earlier, I couldn’t stray too far from my beloved quinoa. I apparently I was ambitious this morning because this also came out of my kitchen.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 package pre-cut butternut squash (feel free to cut your own…that happens to be something I despise doing)
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- a few big handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- hot sauce of your choice (I used Vermont Pepperworks Hempin Jalapeno)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a baking sheet lay out butternut squash in one layer. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and then add salt. Toss around a couple times to coat. Roast in over for about 40 minutes, turning once. Butternut squash should be browned when you take it out. While that is roasting, bring quinoa and water to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Turn off heat and add spinach. Mix it until wilted. Then add in black beans and hot sauce to taste. When squash is done, mix that in as well. This is seriously simple and simply delicious.
If you happen to be a cilantro lover like myself, it would be a great addition to this dish. Also, I’d eat this hot or cold or room temperature. Whatever suites your fancy.