This week…second casualty. The zucchini plant kicked the bucket. I’m not sure why. It was doing great early on, but the leaves just started to shrivel up and the zucchini turned yellow and most of them fell off.
The tomatoes are doing great. I’ve got tons of cherry tomatoes growing and a whole bunch more flowers. I snapped the stem of the early girls a couple days ago by accident. I still stuck it back in the bale, but the outlook is bleak for these girls. The jalapeno is finally looking good. The pole beans have started producing beans. The watermelon vines have some flowers and where I thought I planted cantaloupe in the side of the bale, I realized I have a cucumber plant growing with 2 little cucumbers starting.
The stakes I’m using as supports are not working great now that the bales have started to decompose. Next year, I think I’ll use remesh, like others have written about, to build a trellis system that straddles the bales.